Pests can be a problem year round, but they are at their worst during the monsoon season. Not only are they more active, there just seems to be more of them. The more common pests include mosquitos, flies, termites, and bedbugs. Worms, frogs and small rodents are also out looking for new homes. There are several options for securing your home from becoming their new haven. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- Mosquitoes can be difficult to deal with. To significantly reduce their numbers, clean up any standing water around your house, whether it be puddles or a birdbath. Mosquito repellent will help keep them away in the evenings.
- Bedbugs can be a very serious problem. Get in the habit of checking your bed, furniture and carpets for them regularly. They are about the size of apple seeds. A short-term solution is to put anything infested with them in the drier on high heat. However, it is best to call in a professional to really fix the problem.
- Termites are detrimental to your home. Make sure to treat any wood around your house with anti-termite products.
- Ants are mostly an annoyance. Irritating yet relatively easy to remove. Find their home and put ant powder on it.
- Worms aren’t a major concern. Really it’s about reducing how much water is in your home to keep them out. They like moisture. Keeping your floors dry will make your home less attractive.
Whatever your thoughts on rodents, they really shouldn’t be running wild in your home because they chew on everything and carry diseases. Check for holes big enough for them to enter your home. There are also humane traps that can help you capture and release them into a more suitable environment.