Whether you want a safe zone for your kids and pets, improved curbside appeal, or a bit more privacy, installing a fence is an excellent idea. When choosing a fence, you have various options available, from chain link fences to metal and composite fences. However, vinyl and wood fences are the most popular and offer benefits like durability, curb appeal, multiple styles, etc. You might be thinking about which one is cheaper among these two types of fences. Let us discuss a few factors one should consider.
Vinyl Vs. Wood Fence Cost – Factors to Consider
When you compare two fences to decide on the cheapest option, considering their upfront price alone will not enough to make any decision. You must also consider their long-term expenses, such as repair, and maintenance costs to determine how much you have
to pay in the future (besides the upfront cost) to keep the fence intact and in good working condition.
Here are the factors contributing to the vinyl and wood fence costs:
Enduring weather changes, decay, and fungus, vinyl is extremely durable. However, prolonged exposure to high temperatures can damage the vinyl.
Wood is vulnerable to termites, insects, and harsh weather, resulting in scraping and peeling. However, specific woods like cedar and tropical hardwoods are more durable and can last longer.
Vinyl is a great option if you want a durable fence while avoiding the upkeeping costs that come with wood fences.
A fence can fade over time due to extreme weather conditions, so you may want to change its look, but renovation is not possible in vinyl fences. So, whatever color you choose for your vinyl fence will be the same for its lifetime. If you want a new look, you will have to consider replacing the fence.On the other hand, you can paint wood fences in any color at any time. Also, you don’t have to wait until it fades; you can simply paint it if you want to give it a new look, matching your style and preferences or your yard’s features
Repairing vinyl fences are easier and can be done on your own. However, wood fences (due to sagging and wrapping on boards) may require regular professional repairs to maintain their integrity.
Pros and Cons of Vinyl and Wood Fences
Along with the cost factors, it is crucial to consider the advantages and disadvantages of vinyl and wood fences to determine which one is better yet cheaper.
- Easy to Clean – An occasional cleaning is enough to remove the dirt.
- Less Fading – As vinyl does not fade over time like wood, you do not need to paint it to maintain its look.
- Easy Maintenance – Vinyl is easy to clean and maintain, so you can save the money that you spend on these things.
- Expensive – Vinyl is more expensive than wood fences. The vinyl fence cost per foot ranges from $20 to $35, whereas wood fences cost $3 to $18, depending on their type.
- Limited Choices – Vinyl fences come in limited styles and colors compared to wood fences.
- Vulnerable to Harsh Weather – When exposed to extreme heat or cold, vinyl fences tend to bend or expand.
- Natural Look – Compared to vinyl, wood fences look very natural, leaving a traditional and timeless feel.
- Cost-Effective – The upfront cost of wood fences is cheaper than vinyl.
- Distinct Choices – Wood fences are available in various types (pinewood, redwood, spruce, cypress, cedar, etc.) and styles (board on board, paddock, stockade, split rail, picket, etc.).
- Damage – As wood fences are susceptible to moisture and insects, they will start to rot, sag, and peel over time.
- Requires Regular Maintenance – Wood fences are vulnerable to color changes and damage, so it requires regular maintenance.
Wood Vs. Vinyl – Which Is Cheaper?
In the case of upfront costs, vinyl is more expensive than wood. However, in case of long-term expenses, wood is more expensive than vinyl, as it requires regular maintenance. As both remain cheaper and expensive in different aspects, speak to our contractor to see if either vinyl or wood is right for you.
California Fence Company Can Help You with Your Fencing Needs!
At California Fence Company, we have a specialized team of fencing experts who are dependable, diligent, and always ready to provide the highest quality fences with a variety of designs, styles, and colors that are to your liking. Our qualified professional contractors will install long-lasting fences for your residence or office.